Friday 28 November 2008

A taxing business

My dears, I simply must tell you about this clever wheeze. It's called Child Tax Credits and the government gives it to you - for having children! Yes, it really is that fab and simple. I was told about it by my lovely friend, Slippers, who is also a single mother, but apparently married people can get it too. According to the website, 9 out of 10 families are entitled to something - though of course you never hear a thing about it. Anyone would think that naughty Gordon Brown was keeping it a secret! Anyway, I don't see why he should have it all to himself, do you?

It's in addition to Child Benefit, by the way. If you have a look on the website, there is a clever little whatsit which works out whether you are entitled, and what you might be entitled to. Have a peek and tell me what you think.

I hope that's going to help everybody in these nasty, credit-crunchy times. Just call me Mother Christmas!

Otherwise, there's little to report - except that I am working in an office!!!! I shall have to tell you all about it another time, though, my dears, as it's my turn to get the tea. But, just to keep you in the picture, a quick update on some of my pressing issues:

1. Jury Service. A nice letter came from the Coroner, saying that he was 'sympathetic' to my situation. I wasn't sure whether this was a response to my assertion that I knew way too much about court proceedings, having been given a DVD of Kramer vs Kramer by Mr X some years ago, or whether it was due to my other rambling excuse, that I had no childcare, could get no childcare, and would never be able to afford childcare, which is, of course, true, despite the wonder of Child Tax credits. Anyway, I don't have to go. And now, of course, I feel rather cheated. Why does life work like that?

2. Moths. Not one has been sighted for months now! I put this down to assiduous bleaching and the best efforts of Mme Bovary, the cat, who loves eating insects. Yeeeeesh.

3. Mr X. Slightly less vile! Is he planning a further outrage? I'll keep you posted.

4. True Love. No change! Sigh.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sorry Mr Right has not come along yet! At the other end of the scale us pensioners need more than £5.00 a week rise - more like £100!

Anonymous said...

Have missed you, DD.

Tell us more about your work in the office.

Haven't worked in an office for years.

xxx

Wendy said...

I'd be very wary of ever depending on the money they give you in child tax credits. The calculations used are incomprehensible, the process opaque. And many millions of us have had them turn around and demand their money back because they got it wrong.

I would rather live in a cardboard box in the doorway of Woolies, surviving on scraps from the Subway bins than ever claim it again after the problems it caused for me.

DD's Diary said...

Hi Lindsay, yes, it's a shame about Mr R, but then it's good I'm not hanging around waiting any longer .....sorry to hear about the fiver, are there pensioner credits I wonder? There should be!

DD's Diary said...

Hello dear Jenny, don't worry, there will be plenty on my new incarnation ...just as soon as I've got the hang of looking busy while doing my blog ...xxx

DD's Diary said...

Oh my God, Wendy, this is terrible, I have been basing the rest of my life (and certainly my next holiday) on lovely tax credits. Sounds like you have had a ghastly experience! I certainly wouldn't dare sleep rough outside a Woolies at the moment, who knows who might buy me and the treasures!! Please tell me more if not too painful xx

Wendy said...

Hi when I first investigated claiming I was given figures that led to me making decisions about what hours I could work and what child care I could pay for. I received around 50% of my child care costs for around 18 months, and then they decided I had been overpaid so I haven't received a penny from them from that day forwards. This is around 4 years ago now and my child has subsequently started school. I believe that I would be entitled to a small sum each month now, but I ignore all their forms - the hardship caused to me and my family by the sudden removal of over £300 a month had far reaching consequences, and I will never again have anything that someone can come and take off me. Never!

DD's Diary said...

Eeek, Wendy, this is dreadful! Already I am completely counting on my lovely tax credits! You'd think I'd know by now when something is too good to be true ....but no, I never learn ....oh well, back to the drawing board, and thanks for the warning!