Monday 18 May 2009

Miss Popular

It's very odd, but ever since I got my iPhone a month ago, I have suddenly realised what it is to be in step with the rest of the world. You see, as a rebellious second child, I have spent my whole life not-quite-conforming, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident. Take my school career. I hated sport, I refused to do homework that wasn't interesting, I cheated in tests because I couldn't be bothered to do the work, then, when I finally got to primary school, I got drunk and went out with boys while everyone else was learning latin. Obviously I then went on to smoke behind every possible bike shed and continued to do so for years in the face of opposition from the entire planet. Other naughtinesses went on, but I won't mention them in a family blog, even a broken family blog. Now, in staid middle age, I've not only got divorced, but have chosen to do so in Dulwich, where even raising your voice with a spouse is So Just Not Done.

With the iPhone, I seem finally to have joined a club. It's popular, it's trendy - even Zac Effron has one, for goodness' sake, in 17 Again. The uber Mommy US bloggers in Disneyland had them, need I say more? There are ads for them on the telly the whole time. Then, in Sainsbury's today, I saw a whole row of iPhone-friendly appliances lined up, for docking, for playing music, for ironing shirts ....no, not quite that. But still. It's a strange feeling for me to be able to buy something so easily, I'm so used to my phone chargers etc being obsolete as my mobile is so unhip. I picked up a gleaming white dock thing and admired it. Only £34.99! Naturally, I had to have it. Erm, just a little snag ......a yellow label under the price said it all. 'Sold out.' Of course! That's the price of being in the swim.

Technorati Profile

10 comments:

Exmoorjane said...

I am almost more jealous of your almost-sock than of the phone itself. While Dulwich may have many faults always remember that at least you get a pucking phone signal there! remember how excited I got by your phone only to realise that I could have one, stroke it, but nobody could ever call me on it!!
btw, can't imagine you being such a naughty girl at school!

family affairs said...

I HAVE to have one of those. They're a such an OOD (object of desire ( I just made that up, but it doesn't sound that good does it?) Lx

ADDY said...

I'm so not with it, I am not even sure I know what an iphone is!!

ADDY said...

P.S. My Nokia is 6 years old and definitely geriatric in terms of modern technology. Nobody would even want to steal it!

Littlemummy said...

You and Linda have made me want a mobile gadget..will need to wait til' I win lottery of become uber mummy blogger

DD's Diary said...

Jane, I well remember how disappointed you were when you realised you were living outside iPhone Land - only one solution, move to lovely Dulwich!

DD's Diary said...

Oooh, Family Affairs, OOD is very GOOD! You've got to get one too x

DD's Diary said...

Rosiero, I was exactly the same till I cracked a month ago, no self-respecting mugger would have looked at my ancient Samsung twice ...actually a bit worrying that I finally have something worth nicking!

DD's Diary said...

Littlemummy, you'll only have to wait about five mins before you're as successful as an ubermommy (though obviously in a lovely UK sort of way)x

Anonymous said...

You're so now, doncha know. I haven't succumbed yet...