Tuesday 22 September 2009

'And the winner is ............'


*Blush* The adorable Brit in Bosnia/Fraught Mummy has lavished me with the Zombie Chicken award. Dearest Fraught, you shouldn't have, but I'm so glad you did!

For the very few out there who are not yet aware of the true significance of the award, I reproduce its mission statement: "The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken – excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their inspiring words. As a recipient of this world-renowned award, you now have the task of passing it on to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. Do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all."

Well, obviously I would not wish to antagonise a pack of zombie chickens. A very frightening prospect and, as I suspect they are not organic chickens, it could easily cause riots in Dulwich Village. I shall, therefore, as quickly as I can, pass on this tremendous honour. Who better to receive it than English Mum, who actually keeps chickens and (whisper it softly) also makes a delicious chicken pie? I would also like to award it to Rural Villager, who I'm sure has had a few brushes with chickens in her time, to Exmoor Jane, who has made a fantastic success of country life (unlike a few Mail on Sunday columnists we wouldn't dream of naming), to Hadriana's Treasures, who probably lives quite near a chicken or two (see my sure grasp of geography) and, lastly, but not leastly, to the fantabulous Linda, who could eat a live chicken for breakfast and I'm definitely not even going to mention plucking.

It was the lovely Linda her very self who sent me this "Call Yourself a Writer?" meme:

Which words do you use too much in your writing? Well obviously, I over-use obviously, obviously. And, of course, there's of course, of course.

Which words do you consider overused in stuff you read? I love other people's words.

What's your favourite piece of writing by you? Would have to be my novel, Hot Chocolate to be published in March in German by the uber-wonderful Ulstein, with the title Schokohertz. I don't believe I've mentioned it for, oh, a month ......other than that, I did do some fabulous interviews when I worked on the Daily Express, though I say so myself.

What's your favourite piece of writing by someone else? Nothing equals the first naughty sentence of Pride and Prejudice. That Jane Austen, she was a one. Otherwise, anything, any day, by my Disney 7 chums. Six different approaches to life, every single one brilliant.

Regrets, do you have a few? Is there anything you wish you hadn't written? Oh, gosh, yes. I'm a terror for replying in haste and repenting at leisure. Worst is pressing 'reply all'. Shudder. And that's just email. Many, many a text should never, ever have been pinged across to True Love.

How has your writing made a difference? What do you consider your most important piece of writing? If my writing has made a difference (which is a point for debate), maybe occasionally it's cheered people up when I've made a joke that has worked. Someone did once say they'd wet themselves after reading one of my tales and that did give me a very warm glow of pride. I may ask Tena to sponsor me.

Name three favourite words Can I please have four? Serendipity, sussuration, cellar door. ...And three words you're not so keen on 'But you promised ....' (accompanied by hours of whining).

Do you have a writing mentor, role model or inspiration? I had a fantastic English teacher at school, Mrs Lindsay, who had very thick, wavy dark hair and quite an air of mystery. I loved the way she would take great bunches of her hair and throw it behind her to emphasise a point. I've modelled myself on her ever since, with absolutely no success at all.

What's your writing ambition? To finish my second novel and get both books published in the UK.

I'd like to pass this on to other blogger/writer friends: Pottymummy Dulwich Mum Crystal Jigsaw Kate Morris Half Mum Half Biscuit

6 comments:

cycling through vietnam: my cancer diary said...

Hi DD, so I bad-mouthed you in the comments over at mine. I practically called you a liar and a drunk. I'm sorry. I was too quick off the mark.

Thanks for the meme. I will get round to it. No I won't stuff it in the cupboard under the sink with the plastic bags.

Oh, and I mentioned you here (http://www.onespace.org.uk/articles/health-wellbeing/the-world-of-blogging), can't remember if I said already.

You see, I do love you really.

HMHB x

(The funny little word I have to type to prove I am not a spamming machine is 'clogimp'...as it happens I am feeling sort of clogimpish today. How clever of the computer to know!)

Bluestocking Mum said...

Zombie chickens! Love the fact that you've passed this on to Exmoor Jane!

And you made me smile - I love the word Serendipity.
Something wonderful and etheral about it. Etheral. I like that word too...

bye for now
x

Linda said...

Thanks for doing this, makes me feel like a door to door salesman peddling my meme!
I can't get any of your links to work - they start off with www.blogger.com for some reason?
How you doing?
xx

DD's Diary said...

Hi HMHB, I've had a few techie hitches with this but think it's all there now! Must dash and check your link, how exciting! Glad you still love me despite everythingx

Bluestocking, ethereal is another corker ....actually corker isn't bad either .....mmm, lots of lovely ones when you start to look ....

DD's Diary said...

Linda hon, took me 4 goes but I think everything's working now! thanks for pointing it out and thanks for the meme xx

Dorset Dispatches said...

Glad you enjoyed a good zombie chicken!