Tuesday 15 September 2009

Signs of improvement

I do feel guilty for inflicting my last whinge on you. Blimey, I shall have to do double the blessing counting if we're to get through even the beginning of autumn in any sort of shape. Thanks for all your kind words and I'll try not to do it again. I was going to counteract all that yucky self-pity with some lovely pictures today, of the roses blooming in my gorgeous little garden, but of course it's lashing with rain and gloomier than Gordon Brown.

Instead, I'm presenting you with this chirpy list of advertising hoardings from my dear friend E in Brussels. I believe I'm right in saying that she, or her spies, have seen every single one of these signs with their very own eyes.

Sign over a gynecologist's office:'Dr. Jones, at your cervix.'**************************
On a maternity room door:'Push. Push. Push.'**************************
In a podiatrist's office:'Time wounds all heels.'**************************
On a septic tank truck:Yesterday's Meals on Wheels**************************
On a plumber's truck:'We repair what your husband fixed.'**************************
On another plumber's truck:'Don't sleep with a drip. Call your plumber.'**************************
On a church's bill board:'7 days without God makes one weak.'**************************
At a tyre store, 'Invite us to your next blowout.'**************************
On an electrician's truck:'Let us remove your shorts.'**************************
At an optometrist's office:'If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place.'**************************
On a taxidermist's window:'We really know our stuff.'**************************
On a fence:'Salesmen welcome! Dog food is expensive!'**************************
At a car dealership:'The best way to get back on your feet - miss a car payment.'**************************
Outside a car exhaust store:'No appointment necessary. We hear you coming.'**************************
In a vet's waiting room:'Be back in 5 minutes. Sit! Stay!'**************************
In a sestaurant window:'Don't stand there and be hungry; come on in and get fed up.'**************************
In the front yard of a funeral home:'Drive carefully. We'll wait.'**************************
And don't forget the sign at a radiator shop:'Best place in town to take a leak.'**********************

16 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

Hi DD

You've obviously survived the shopping expedition. I hope you had fun and the girls didn't fleece you too much!
Love the signs.
Most of all you made me laugh saying 'it's lashing with rain and gloomier than Gordon Brown.'

Err, who said you're not funny?

warm wishes
x

ADDY said...

These cheered me up no end. Am going to take a copy.

Suburbia said...

Thanks I needed a laugh!

(answered your comment at mine regarding HOPE!)

Anonymous said...

Very good, really enjoyed reading through your list.

CJ xx

Hot Cross Mum said...

A most excellent list. Many congrats on the book and wordcount on second one. I now have word-count envy as I'm only at 15,000
:-(

DD's Diary said...

Aw, thanks, Angel Blue. Yes, survived trial by changing room and they didn't even buy that much. Result!

DD's Diary said...

Very glad to be of service,Rosiero! Hope all going better chez toi x

DD's Diary said...

Ah, Suburbia, will pop in and see what you've said!

DD's Diary said...

CJ, thank you! Just a little thing I threw together ....well, that someone else threw together ....x

DD's Diary said...

Hot Cross, hello, welcome and love the name! No need to have wordcount envy, as 44,000 of my admittedly impressive tally are rubbish ....

Kate B. said...

Hi DD, loved the list and came across it just when I needed a good giggle. Thanks!

geekymummy said...

Ha!
May I add one that has stuck in my mind for years?
"Singh and Son, Builders. You've tried the cowboys, now try the Indians"

Michele said...

These are great (and yours too geekymummy). A favourite of mine was in the front garden of a bikie residence in suburban Sydney.
"This house guarded by shotgun three days a week. You guess which three."

DD's Diary said...

YLM, nice to see you, happy to be of service!

DD's Diary said...

Geekymummy, excellent! Reminds me of a van I saw the other day saying 'South Norwood Glass Fitters - every pane a pleasure.'

DD's Diary said...

Michele, fabulous one and nice to see you. Not quite the image of Australia projected by Neighbours, my girls' favourite show!