Friday 25 September 2009

A dream come true

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a dream.

It's not about peace and harmonee for the whole world, I'm sad to say, though I'm perfectly happy to get behind that as and when. No, it's a simpler, purer dream.

My dream is to shut my TV inside a cupboard.

I've always had a thing about the ugliness of tellies. When they stuck out a mile at the back and weighed four tonnes, I truly hated them. Now that they have gone all flat screen and slinky, I still hate them. When they're turned off, their dense blackness, usually framed in silver, reminds me of the sinister, matt nothingness of a Malevich canvas. When they're on, they dominate the room and it's impossible to look elsewhere.

I've always had a sneaking interest in those bits of furniture you can buy to shut tellies away in. While we were married, Mr X firmly quashed any notion of buying such an item, proclaiming them vulgar. I'm sure he was right, though nothing, surely, is as vulgar as a telly itself.

It's not that I'm pretending for one second that I'm not addicted to telly. Every evening I can be found, Chardonnay in hand, watching hours of crap, my eyes as big and round as Mia Farrow's at the end of Purple Rose of Cairo. I'll watch anything and everything - Holby City, To The Manor Bowen, Desperate Housewives, Neighbours .....really, I'm not fussy. It's just that I sort of want to pretend that I am, and having the telly in a cupboard would really help. A large part of me wants to live in a Jane Austen fantasy parlour, embroidering daintily away while engaging in sparkling repartee with, of course, Mr D.

Obviously, I am a sad, deluded woman, but luckily these days I am free to pursue my delusions to their logical conclusion. Oh, the joys of divorce! These are so sparse that, whenever I come across one, I know I have to celebrate it.

Enter Julian, of the London Fitted Wardrobe Company. Julian was recommended by a friend, after he built beautiful alcove cupboards in her sitting room. She said excitedly, 'he did a great job - and he's nice to have around!'

Five days into the job, I can confirm that she was absolutely right on both points. The house has been chaos, with books, dust, nervous cats, odd bits of timber and grumpy children lying about the place. Normally, for someone with my compulsion to tidy stuff away before even I have finished using it, this would involve sky-high stress levels. But Julian, with a lovely sunny nature, a way with wood and an attention to detail that makes even me look sloppy, has made it all so easy. I knew he was the man for the job when he prised a bit of paint off the wall (in a spot that wouldn't show!!) and took it to the paintshop to have the exact same shade made up.

Julian used to be in IT in the City, but after a year off travelling with his wife, decided commuting was for suckers. He launched three potential new careers; IT consultancy, wedding photography and cupboard making. The cupboards have won out. In recession-hit Dulwich, which is now embracing the staycation and the idea that paying for a lick of paint beats shelling out thousands on stamp duty, Julian is suddenly more popular than eyebrow threading and is booked up till I don't know when.

We have had our moments. When I showed Julian the doorknobs I'd chosen, he lifted an eyebrow, 'girly knobs! Your husband didn't have much of a say, did he?' he said. I wondered for a second. Did I want to go into the whole Mr X/divorce/True Love business? Erm, no I didn't. But, as the week wore on, things came out ....Julian laughed and said it reminded him of the time he told a client her husband would be really pleased with the cupboards, only for the lady's lesbian lover to arrive home ....

As we speak, the last coat of eggshell in the precise shade of the walls is going on the cupboard doors. The girls hate the idea of a telly in a cupboard. So, probably, does True Love. Mr X would doubtless see the whole project as further proof of my utter insanity, not that he needs it, of course. Even the cat is eyeing me strangely. But I am very happy. I have a dream. It's not, perhaps, the dream I once turned my life upside down for, but who cares - it's my very own dream, and it's coming true.

10 comments:

ADDY said...

Good for you! I was brought up in the days when televisions were not supposed to be the focal point of the room but rather more chanced upon by accident in the room. These days the enormous flat plasma screen cinema-style monstrosities which end up on walls or splayed across the room are so in your face you cannot avoid them. I like my soaps too but I also want my lounge to be for conversation and sewing and gentle dozing!

Unknown said...

I'd love to shut my telly away too and now and again open it up to watch some trash. You're right, they're ugly things. Those cupboards sound great and it sounds like you probably wouldn't have them if you weren't on your own. How liberating not to have a great big discussion about things like that. I once saw a 'telly hider' on Changing Rooms years ago. Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen commissioned a portrait of the family which sat in front of the telly and slid to one side when you wanted to watch it. The painting was completely hideous, very funny. I should think it only lasted a fortnight.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a telly in the cupboard.

I have the same phobia about curtains not drawn after dark when there's just a big black hole in the room like a gaping maw.

It all sounds just wonderful.

mumplustwo said...

Well done, you. Who cares what anyone else thinks? I have my telly in a cupboard, for the exact same reasons. You clearly have impeccable taste.

Bluestocking Mum said...

Ha! this made me laugh so much -

I very strongly objected to husbands idea of some 40+ inch monstrosity making a feature wall in the barn living room! Grrr.

TV is one of my pet hates...along with radiators! I would box them all up (or do away with the lot of 'em!) if I had chance.

Have fun with the makeover and if cupboard idea doesn't work do what I do with most things - stick a throw over it!

xx

DD's Diary said...

Exactly, Rosiero - the reality may be that I do precious little sewing, chatting or even dozing but I like to keep up appearances!

DD's Diary said...

Whistlejacket, yes, it was bliss not even having to pretend to discuss the matter and then sneakily go ahead anyway! I actually saw that episode of Changing Rooms and loved the idea of the sliding panel - don't remember the portrait, let's hope they painted over it!

DD's Diary said...

GG, it is just wonderful actually, particularly in the evenings. I have a fantasy about reading a lot of Emily Bronte poems by the fire but will no doubt just enjoy reruns of Holby ....

DD's Diary said...

Mumplustwo, you are clearly a woman of tremendous discernment! Viva the cupboard ladies

DD's Diary said...

Aha, Bluestocking, I see we are like minds on this, my first act in this house was to get the radiators boxed and I have many throws to my name ....the cupboards are beautiful, though, no need for throws!